In 2020, I walked from Calgary to Edmonton and raised over $33,000 to support lung disease patients and increase awareness about the far-reaching affects of lung disease.
This year, my Walk To Breathe will take me from Lethbridge to Edmonton - over 500 km, with a goal to raise $50,000 for the Lung Association of AB & NWT.
Having experienced the devastating affects of lung disease within my own family, I am passionate about supporting all those who struggle to breathe. My Father is a 5-year Double Lung Transplant survivor, and a very dear member of our family lost his life due to respiratory complications in early March - they are the inspiration behind my walk this year.
PLEASE UNDERSTAND: Lung Disease is NOT targeting smokers and the elderly – it affects EVERYONE - babies, young children, young adults and otherwise healthy people.
- 1 in 5 people in AB & NWT are living with some form of lung disease.
- Chronic respiratory disease ranks among the top for mortality and morbidity, however it receives less than one-third of the government research funding.
- Leading causes of hospitalization in Alberta are asthma and COPD, with Cystic Fibrosis being the most common genetic disorder in young people.
- Every 15 minutes, someone dies of lung disease – the 3rd leading cause of death in Canadians.
- Indigenous children are disproportionately affected by respiratory infections.
- Lasting effects of lung disease will often require lung transplant, and one of the most devastating facts about lung transplant is that the out-of-pocket costs are exorbitant, and for many, prohibitive. Often the decision to pursue this life-saving surgery is determined by a patients financial ability. Many patients are choosing death over financial ruin.
My Walk To Breathe 2021 will begin in Lethbridge on July 7th and finish in Edmonton on July 23rd - marking the 5-year anniversary of my father's transplant.
I HUMBLY ask for your support in my WALK TO BREATHE, and the fight against lung disease.
Your kindness and consideration is a BREATH OF FRESH AIR, as we work together to make a difference across Alberta and NWT.