Clean Air




What is Radon?



Radon is an invisible, odourless, and tasteless radioactive gas that is found naturally in soil and rock from the breakdown of uranium.


High levels of radon found indoors can be a health risk to you and your family.


Long-term exposure to high levels of radon can lead to lung cancer making it the leading cause of lung cancer among non-smokers and the second leading cause of lung cancer (after smoking) overall.


There is no evidence that radon exposure causes respiratory diseases such as asthma, or symptoms such as persistent coughing or headaches.






Why does this matter in Alberta?

A recent Canadian survey on radon and indoor air quality reported that Albertans are the least likely to know about radon. Donate today to help The Lung Association, Alberta & NWT spread awareness about radon.



What can you do?

It's simple. The only way to know if you have high radon is to test.





Testing is easy.

The Lung Association, Alberta & NWT recommends testing for three months with a long-term radon test kit.


You can purchase a test kit from The Lung Association for $29.99 + $10.00 (shipping). This includes the shipping to you, the test kit, the associated instructions for use, and the laboratory testing fees. To purchase a radon test kit click here  or call 1-888-566-LUNG (5864).


 Radon test kits can also be purchased at your local Home Hardware location. If there is no stock on the shelf, ask the store to order one from their warehouse for you.



How to Test

We recommend that you place the radon test kit in the lowest level of a home (such as a basement or main floor) for a period of three months where it will not be disturbed.


After three months, collect the detector and mail it to a laboratory for analysis and results.


For complete testing instructions, click here.


For a list of approved radon mesurement devices, visit



My home has high radon levels. What do I do?

If your home has high radon levels (200 Becquerels per cubic metre is the Canadian radon guideline), TLA suggests that you contact a certified radon mitigator.


A certified radon mitigator is a contractor or individual who is trained to fix your home and lower the amount of radon indoors.


To find a list of certified mitigators, please visit


The Lung Association's Radon Awareness Campaign (2014/2015)


Thanks to everyone who participated in the 2014-2015 Radon Awareness Campaign!  


To learn more about The Lung Association's Radon Awareness Campaigns, click here. 




Additional Links - Consumers





Visit Health Canada or call 1-800-622-6232


Visit The Lung Association, Alberta & NWT's clean air resource centre for other downloadable resources about radon.



Additional Links - Home Industry Professionals


Visit the Canadian Mortgage and Housing Corporation website to learn more about radon mitigation.


Health Canada provides a radon reduction guide for professional contractors.


A NEW Health Canada document titled Radon Reducation Guide for Canadians is now available.


The Canadian Association of Radon Scientists and Technologists website is a great place to find information on radon in general, as well as measurement and mitigation.


If you are a mitigator interested in becoming certified, please refer to the new Canadian National Radon Proficiency Program.


Radon-Related Health Professional Resources - See links on "Clean Air Resources for Health Professionals" webpage



*** The above video courtesy of SHAW TV Edmonton***