Click HERE for information on EnviroBLAST 2012!
EnviroBLAST is a youth air quality and health program started by The Lung Association, Alberta & NWT in partnership with the Edmonton Science Outreach Network (ESON). Due to its successful pilot launch in 2010 and expanded 2011 program, we are excited to offer EnviroBLAST once again to Edmonton and area junior high schools!
Program participants consist of youth from across Edmonton and area. The common goal of these youth is to learn more about various air quality issues such as: sources of air pollutants, indoor and outdoor air quality, health effects arising from exposure to poor air quality, and impacts of poor air quality on athletes. Students work in teams to obtain knowledge about a specific air quality issue in an effort to educate themselves and their friends and families as well as increase air quality awareness within their schools and communities.
This unique program:
- Is open to grade seven to nine students
- Is a four month program that begins with one FREE workshop taking place in late February or early March.
- EnviroBLAST workshop events include:
- Guest speakers who are experts in air quality research.
- Interactive science demonstrations and “hands-on” experiments performed in a real laboratory environment.
- Interactive brainstorming sessions in university lecture theatres to provide students with an academic environment to generate possible air quality projects
- Offers grants of up to $300 per team to carry out their project plans in their schools and communities over four months.
- Concludes on Clean Air Day with poster displays, presentations, and awards.
To view photos from the 2011 EnviroBLAST Workshop (February 24, 2011), click here.
Curriculum Links Offered by EnviroBLAST
In addition to being a fun filled experience for junior high school students, EnviroBLAST incorporates several components of both the Science and English curriculums to ensure that the students can both have fun and fulfill their academic obligations to their schools.
- EnviroBLAST addresses all four foundations in the Science curriculum: Science, Technology and Society, Knowledge, and Skills and Attitudes.
- Students will initiate, plan, record, analyze, interpret and communicate information/data in a team setting.
- Other units we will explore are Planet Earth, Mix and Flow of Matter, Cells and Systems and Environmental Chemistry.
- Consider and understand the ideas of others
- Create original text and generate ideas
- Plan and gather information appraise own and others’ work
- Respect others and strengthen community and appreciate diversity
- Work within a group, cooperate with others and evaluate group process
For more information on EnviroBLAST, please contact:
Beth Nanni, Program Specialist - Environment
Phone: 780-488-6995 x 2252 (Edmonton)
888-566-LUNG (5864) x 2252 (Toll Free from outside Edmonton)
A special thanks...
EnviroBLAST is possible thanks to support from and partnerships with:
John & Barbara Poole Family